Welcome to a world where we love ourselves. This is the place where we can learn to love each other.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The joy of nasal cleansing with neti pot

There's this wonderful thing out there called a neti pot. Have you heard of this before? I am about to let you know about one of the greatest things I have discovered in my life so far.

Nasal cleansing is a practice that originated in India as part of the preparation for doing yoga. Using a saline solution to rinse the sinuses and nasal passages removes dirt, pollen, mucus, and other unwanted debris. Although this is something that started well over a thousand years ago the benefits of nasal cleansing are greater now than ever before. We live in a world of incredible pollution. If you're reading this you probably live in a city of a moderate to fairly large size. That means you are surrounded by so much toxicity in the air its a bit overwhelming to think about. Now before you start getting all freaked out about how polluted our environment remember there are no problems only solutions.

Of course now here is the solution: Nasal cleansing with a neti pot. The instructions are simple.
1. Buy a neti pot.
2. Mix 1 tsp. non-iodized salt (Morton's kosher salt is a good choice), 1/2 tsp. baking soda (Arm & Hammer), into 1 cup of warm water.
3. Here's the part even you seasoned neti pot users don't know about: Add a drop of eucalyptus and tea tree essential oils to the mixture. These not only add a pleasing fragrance but have very strong anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. This provides a huge boost to the effectiveness of your nasal cleanse.
4. Rinse your nose with the neti pot
5. Feel the joy!

I really want to stress the importance of incorporating these essential oils into the rinse. When I purchased my neti pot it said more advanced techniques involve the use of different oils, but there is only a limited amount of information available on this. Personally I have only tried the eucalyptus and tea tree, but the difference compared to salt water alone is immense. I also suggest trying rosemary and lavender essential oils, but I cannot truly reccomend this because I have not tried it myself. Once I obtain some of these I will test it out and let you know how it is.

Happy Cleansing!

No comments:

Post a Comment